Search This Blog

Tuesday, 18 February 2014

Postcards from Blackpool....interview with Carrie-Ann Stein!!!

Carrie-Ann Stein is a London based designer who creates fantastically beautiful and unique pieces that are enticing many in the industry , including Susie Bubble and the people of Elle magazine.Her graduate collection , "Postcards from Blackpool",is so unusually dreamy - with postcard silhouettes , neon shades and urban imagery. Carrie agreed to do an interview with me , which is pretty darn exciting, so with that , let us begin...



-Have you always been interested in fashion/art and is that something you've always wanted to do?

I was academic at school so I was channelled that way. Fortunately, my family are artistic: my dad experiments with painting, photography and modelling. My mum has always had a talent for interior design, in particular, with textile design; and my elder brother is an art dealer.

-How did you kick-start you career in fashion?

I was beginning to feel disillusioned with my job as a lawyer so I began to take short courses in sewing, pattern-cutting and design. This led to a 1-year foundation course at the London College of Fashion and then a BA in Fashion Design with Knit at Central Saint Martins College.


-What are your main influences to your designs?

I am inspired by the conceptual designs of Rei Kawakubo and the uplifting artworks of David Hockney. Working class life is the undercurrent that feeds my designs.



-Is there anyone who you would love to dress or to wear your pieces?

I wouId love to dress Grace Jones or Tracey Emin - women with a fearsome attitude.


-What are your plans for the future? 

My plans are to continue developing exciting prints and silhouettes.




-What kind of music do you listen to/movies do you watch/artists that you like?

 I listen to electronic music such as Metronomy and Daniel Avery and the experiments of Damon Albarn. I love to watch British comedies such as The Office, Granma's House, The Thick of It and The Royle Family. I am inspired by the works of David Hockney, Tracey Emin, Grayson Perry and Gabriel Orozco.


-Where is your favourite place to go?

My favourite place to go is home.



Thank you so much to Carrie-Ann for this interview!To find out more about this magnificent woman got to :http://www.carrieannstein.co.uk/

Oh and guys , I'm currently in love with this song , partially due to the fact that I've watched Nick & Norah's infinite playlist approximately 9 times over the past few months:

Kate
xox