Search This Blog

Wednesday, 3 April 2013

This is Miss

My super cool cousin, Joana Kelly , from THIS IS MISS, tells us about finally becoming a New Yorker , unusual photography and scanning her face to create wondrous prints. I have never interviewed someone on my blog before but  I'm hoping to do it more often - enjoy!

1.This question is difficult, but, briefly, how would you describe yourself as a person?
This year marks my tenth anniversary of living in New York, so I can finally describe myself as a New Yorker! 

2.What makes you take a photograph of something?
I'll take a photograph of something that I find striking or beautiful. I'm a fan of Instagram, so I also take photos of things I think my friends will enjoy—something funny or unusual. 

3.How did you come up with the idea to make those amazing prints with hair and teeth?
Those prints are from my MFA thesis, titled "I am at the same time." I've always been intrigued by how photography shapes the viewer's perception of the subject, so I wanted to do a series of self portraits as a project. Is there a way to be show your true self in an image? I ended up scanning myself—my hair, my teeth, and even my eyes (Do not try that. It's a good way to blind yourself.)—and I tiled the images to make a repeating pattern. I wanted the images to be intimately and uniquely me, but I made something quite abstract and anonymous in the end. 

4.What music do you like to listen to? 
A bit of everything, but my favorite is Motown. The Supremes are the best. 

5.Who is your style icon?
Sofia Coppola  

6.What do you like to do with your spare time?
I post images and articles I like to my blog, thisismiss.com

7.What is your must have piece ( of clothing / something you wear  lot)?
Blue or black jeans are definitely a wardrobe staple.

8.Who is your favourite actor/singer/artist/designer etc.?
Sophie Calle and Tim Hawkinson are my favorite artists. I like Steven Alan and Isabel Marant as designers. I'm more fickle about actors and singers.

9.At the moment , what is your favourite film?
My favorite film at the moment is Beginners

10.Have you always liked photography?
Yes! I've always liked the immediacy of photography, even when you used to have to wait to get the rolls of film developed. I've always loved that you can press a button and capture a moment.  

11.Do you have any hidden talents?
I can fold most things into a rather jaunty paper hat. 

12.What magazines/blogs do you read?
I read so many blogs! My favorites at the moment in no particular order:
It's Nice That
The Jealous Curator
Man Repeller
A Shopaholic's Vision! 
Swiss Miss
Tomboy Style
The Neotraditionalist
BoingBoing
Engadget
The Sartorialist
Gawker
and so many more!
Below , is some of her photography . 




"I am at the same time" - these are those amazing prints which she used her teeth,eyes and hair to create.

 







So,I hope you liked that quick insight into Joana Kelly's world , but if you want to find out more about her or her photography visit : THIS IS MISS 
I would like to thank Joana for doing this intervview with me and for telling me all about her fabulous photography!
Kate
xxx